Transcona is a suburb of Winnipeg, Manitoba and up until 1972 it was a separate municipality, having been incorporated first as the Town of Transcona in 1912 and then as the City of Transcona in 1961. Today it is represented by the Transcona city ward, represented by a member of Winnipeg City Council, and, with much larger boundaries. It is located on the eastern most side of the city. The borders that encompass the neighbourhood are: St. Boniface road in the south, Lagimodiere Boulevard in the West, the CPR Keewatin railway tracks in the north and the perimeter Highway in the east. Transcona is made up of five main neighbourhoods which include: East Transcona, West Transcona, Canterbury Park, Kildonan Meadows, and Mission Hill. East and West Transcona and parts of Canterbury Park are considered Old Transcona and the houses consist mostly of one and a half stories, one and three quarter stories, bi-levels, and bungalows. Kildonan Meadows, Mission Hill and parts of Canterbury Park are considered New Transcona. These homes are mostly bungalows or two-storeys.
Today Transcona is home to over 30,500 residents and is continuing to expand. It is primarily a working class residential suburb with some light industry. The majority of the area consists of houses built several decades ago, there are newer developments located in the east and northwest sections of the community including Canterbury Park, Lakeside Meadows and Mission Gardens. The neighbourhood is located about 12 kilometres from the downtown area/ MTS Centre, 25 Kilometres from the Investors Group Field, and 20 Kilometres from the James Armstrong International Airport. While some of these distances may seem long, Transcona is well known for its proximity to the perimeter highway which allows for quick and easy transportation to many areas of the city.
A Little Bit of History
Transcona was founded in 1909 as the site of the repair shops for the Grand Trunk Pacific and National Transcontinental Railways. The name “Transcona” was chosen to commemorate the railway to which the town owed its existence. It is claimed that the name “Transcona” was chosen from thousands of contest entries and was a combination of “Transcontinental” and “Strathcona”. “Transcontinental” either for the CPR Transcontinental trains that passed through the area or for the National Transcontinental Railway who constructed the shops in cooperation with the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. “Strathcona” was for Donald Alexander Smith, also known as Lord Strathcona. He headed one of the groups responsible for constructing the Canadian Pacific Railway. Soon after this, prospect of steady employment brought hundreds of men to the area. The area was quickly covered with the tents of construction gangs and hurriedly constructed shacks. Some permanent homes were built by the railwaymen who came from Rivers, Melville, and other railway points. For those intent on making Transcona their home, men brought their families only after they were established.
In 1910, the Transcona post office opened and the town population was reported at 1,600 people. There were two boarding houses, a bakery, butcher shop, bank, two churches (Methodist and Presbyterian), and a two room school in the Saunders Block. The first three-storey house was built in 1910 by Joseph Maranda who owned a lumberyard, and for many years, operated the jitney service (a car transportation service that ran prior to bus lines) between Transcona and Winnipeg.
The Town of Transcona was officially incorporated by Charter on April 6, 1912.
Transcona’s first Mayor was elected in May of 1912, Mr. C.J.E. Maxwell. He was the only candidate running for the position. 1912 also saw the construction of the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the opening of the Transcona Municipal Offices, construction of the Fire Hall, and the installation of the first electric lights and power. A Central School was constructed from 1912–1913 and officially opened in September of 1913. The Ukrainian Catholic Church was also constructed in 1913. In 1914, the sewage system was installed. The Transcona Cemetery was surveyed in August of the same year and approved by the council in October. By the end of the first year 22 burials had been made in the new cemetery.
Between 1914 and 1918, over 400 men from Transcona enlisted in service to King and Country. Between 1915 and 1918 the Transcona Shell Company and Eley Cartridge Company engaged in the manufacture of munitions. The town experienced severe economic hardship during the 1920s and went bankrupt in 1921. The Mayor and Council were required to resign. The Province administered the Town of Transcona until 1927 when a Town Council was elected. During the Depression of the 1930s the community faced chronic unemployment, railways layoffs, and many economic hardships. To provide employment to able-bodied men, Regent Avenue was paved as a “relief” project. The new cement highway was paved from Transcona to Winnipeg at a cost of $135,000. From 1939-1945, the townspeople pulled together to support the nation at war. Over 800 men and women from Transcona served in uniform. Others worked at the Cordite Plant, on the armoured train, or helped with the Transcona War Efforts Committee.
Transcona is now home to over 30,500 residents and is continuing to expand. Though the majority of the area consists of houses built several decades ago, there are newer developments located in the east and northwest sections of the community including Canterbury Park, Lakeside Meadows and Mission Gardens.
Source: Transcona Historical Museum
Transcona is part of the River East Transcona School Division, and is the second largest public school division in the province of Manitoba. It has thirty-six elementary and middle schools, and six high schools, several of which are French Immersion. The River East Transcona School Division was established in 2002, following the amalgamation of River East School Division No. 9 and the urban portion of Transcona-Springfield School Division No. 12. The merging of these two school divisions came about through the Public Schools Modernization Act, which reduced the number of school divisions in Manitoba to 37 from 54.
In the neighbourhood of Transcona there are a total of 14 schools. There are four English elementary, two French Immersion elementary, and one Ukrainian Bilingual elementary school. The area has two English and two French Immersion middle schools and two English and one French Immersion Secondary Schools.
Please visit the River East Transcona website for more information. http://www.retsd.mb.ca/Pages/Home.aspx
Source: River East School Division
There are no major hospitals in the immediate area. However, the community is less than 10 kilometers from the Concordia Hospital. The Concordia Hospital is part of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority and partners with health care agencies and providers to serve the community of northeast Winnipeg. There are over 1,100 staff and volunteers that are part of the team. Concordia Hospital specializes in orthopaedics involving joint replacements. This extends to all communities in Manitoba as well as to Northwestern Ontario and Nunavut.
There are a couple of walk-in clinics in the area stretching from Lagimodiére Boulevard to the heart of Transcona.
There is one public library serving in the community located at 111 Victoria Avenue West.
Transcona Historical Museum is located at 141 Regent Ave West. Their Mission is to maintain and promote the history, stories and community spirit of Transcona.”
Source: Concordia Hospital, Transcona Public Library, Transcona Historical Museum
Transcona is mostly residential however it does have a small industrial and commercial area spread throughout the community. In the west of Transcona there is a wide variety of independent and main stream retail stores including Kildonan Place Mall, which is located within the largest retail nodes east of the Red River in Winnipeg. It is the largest enclosed shopping centre in the northeast quadrant of the city. The centre is anchored by Target, Sears, Famous Players and Shoppers Drug Mart and offers a great mix of retailers that include Aeropostale, Garage, Boathouse, State & Main Kitchen and Bar, and West 49. Surrounding the Kildonan Place Mall, there are a number of large retail outlets including; Costco, Canadian Tire, Best Buy, Superstore, Walmart, etc.
Entertainment and Recreation
Transcona also offers a number of playgrounds, parks, splash pads, outdoor rinks, three major community clubs and two indoor arenas. Park City West, Oxford Heights, and East End Community Clubs organize a variety of recreational activities, while East End and Roland Michener arenas host most on-ice activities. Roland Michener Arena is the home to the MMJHL (Manitoba Major Junior Hockey League) team Transcona Railors.
Transcona Golf and Country club is located 2120 Dugald Road and is an 18 hole facility located in South Transcona, which offer a wide range of memberships along with very reasonable green fee rates for the public. The Golf Club has earned the reputation of being “Beautiful, Challenging & Affordable”. Golf Central is another golf facility in Transcona at 775 Plessis Road. It has 20 outdoor heated tee boxes as well as 4 virtual golf simulators.
Transcona is fortunate enough to have The Transcona Trails, and the South Transcona Community Path. The Transcona Trail is a multi-use asphalt path that is 6.7 kilometer in length and used by walkers, runners and cyclists. It follows a variety of hydro lines along Manitoba Hydro right of way. It starts at Regent Avenue and runs to Ravelston where you’ll find the entrance to the Rotary Tall Gross Nature Park (corner of Ravelston Avenue and Bradley Street). The South Transcona Community Path provides a fully separated walking and cycling path along Dugald Road. It runs from the intersection of Terracon Place and Dugald Road out to the suburb of South Transcona. The path is 3.5 meters wide asphalt surface and is 4.2 kilometers in length. Both trails pass through a number of different parks as well as off leash dog parks.
The Transcona Centennial Spray Pad is a new addition to the neighbourhood that opened in the summer of 2013. It is located at 1101 Wabasha Street, at the corner of Kidlare Avenue East and Wasbasha Street. A spray pad is an area for water play that has no standing water. This is said to eliminate the need for lifeguards or other supervision, as there is little risk of drowning. Typically there are ground nozzles that spray water upwards out of the spray pad’s raindeck. There may also be other water features such as a rainbow (semicircular pipe shower), a mushroom shower, or a tree shower. As well, some splash pads feature movable nozzles similar to those found on fire trucks to allow users to spray others. The showers and ground nozzles are often controlled by a hand activated-motion sensor, to run for limited time.
Club Regent Casino is located at 1425 Regent Avenue West. It is one of two casinos in the city (the other being the McPhillips Street Station Casino), both are owned and operated by the Manitoba Lotteries Corporation, and in turn, the Government of Manitoba. The casino opened in 1993, after an assessment regarding the distribution of gambling revenue, was released. \Connected to the casino is the Canad Inns Club Regent Hotel. The casino contains a McDonald’s restaurant, as well as a concert stage, on which regular comedy, and musical performances are scheduled.
Source: Club Regent Casino, City of Winnipeg 311, MMJHL
Popular Bus Routes:
42 – Plessis Express
43 – Munroe
44 – Grey-downtown > Kildonan Place
45 – Talbot
46 – Transcona Express
47 – Transcona
48 – McMeans Express
49 – Dugald
75 – Crosstown East
77 – Crosstown North
85 – Kildonan Place > Henderson
87 – Crossroads station > south Transcona Crossroads Station
89 – North Kildonan > Kildonan Place